Sunday, March 6, 2011

What is Tarte Tatin?

My dessert at a cafe across from Les Halles in Lyon.
          Basically, tarte tatin is France's reply to apple pie, and it's one of my favorite things that I've tried here in Lyon, the culinary capital of the world. As Wikipedia explains, it's an upside-down tarte, but the apples have been caramelized in sugar and butter before it's baked. If you haven't tried it yet, you may not want to,  because after you do, you won't be able to stop ordering it. You can even add une boule of vanilla ice cream for optimum tastiness. 

          I just made myself hungry. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! J'adore tarte tatin. Did you know it was actually invented accidentally by a cook who was in a hurry & not paying enough attention to what she was doing? http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/TarteTatin.htm {Why do my cooking mishaps never turn out so deliciously?!}

    ReplyDelete