Sunday, April 10, 2011

Oh no...

          A few months ago, I was pleased to find out that my students had no idea what Jersey Shore was, and satisfied to know that it hadn't yet contaminated France. And then I saw this:

In the Marseille train station
          This is bad, bad news for us Americans. My students already ask me all the time "Is America really like Desperate Housewives?" "Is America just like Gossip Girl?" with the full belief that the answer is yes. This is NOT GOING TO HELP our reputation overseas. My students believe what they see on TV of America, and then apply it to all Americans. They are going to think that we are all overly-tanned, classless idiots.

          The end has begun.

          But since I'm already wasting precious moments of your life on Snooki, I might as well show you the completely amazing thing that she did on TV the other day. No one can describe it better than one of my favorite gossip blogs, wwtdd.com: "Snooki is roughly the size and shape (and color) of a basketball, so she should be good at rolling, but I was still genuinely shocked last night when she launched into a cartwheel-body splash onto Michelle McCool, getting the pin for her team to win their six way, inter-gender grudge match at Wrestlemania XXVII. Never in a million years would I have guessed she was athletic enough to pull that off. I couldn’t be any more amazed unless she proved she could read."

2 comments:

  1. All I have to say is WOW...WOW. That wrestling business is out of control...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! I'm a senior in college from Chicago that has been accepted to teach English in Lyon through TAPIF as well. I adore your blog and am so excited for France, but I have some questions before I make my decision and was wondering if you could give me some advice. Would you mind shooting me an e-mail at cboden11@slu.edu?

    ReplyDelete